Monday, February 16, 2009

An Honest Scrap Award? Who me?

Well here goes. Don't know how far back I will have to go, but I will give it the old college try.

1. When I was very young, my "thing" - security blanket type thing- was to suck my bottom lip and at the same time rub on my navel. Does that sound weird? It sure must have looked weird.
2. Also, when I was young, but a bit older than in #1 above, I kind of lived a fantasy life. I would build playhouses out of pine straw. If you have ever lived in the country and I mean COUNTRY, you probably know what I am talking about. The pine straw was used to make "walls" between little pine saplings and then you set up housekeeping. It helped if you had someone else playing with you.
3. When I was in a bit older and would be helping Mamma with the dishes at night, rather than talk to each other, I would always sing. This was my way of entertaining her, I guess. Most of the songs were hymns from church or maybe whatever was the latest hit on the radio.
4. Would you believe eleven years old and finding out that Santa wasn't real? I was heart broken. Christmas never had that same magic about it after that. Did I mention that we lived in a very rural area and did not have TV until I was in 6th or 7th grade.
5. I never had a date in high school that the guy asked me. The only dates I had were for the proms and of course, if you were not asked by someone else, you could invite someone yourself. I did and they were one date dates. Popular I was not.
6. I feel in love with Joe three times. Once in fifth grade and he was in 10th grade and would save me a seat on the bus. Then in the spring of 1961 when he was home on leave from the Army before he went to Greenland. He was the ONLY guy that I would have given up the thought of going to college and marrying on the spot. Unfortunately, that did not happen. Then in 1967 when he was home of leave again, we met up and dated while he was here. Before he left for Vietnam, we were engaged and exactly 53 weeks later we were married. Guess the third time is the charm.
7. The night before my Dad died, we had a big argument and I never told him I was sorry. That tormented me so badly that I went from a size 16 on the day of his funeral on August 15, 1963 to a size 10 in November. I was existing on about 2-3 hours of sleep a night, because when I went to sleep I was having terrible dreams about him and things that had actually happened years before. That was the first time in my life that I had ever had to take anything for nerves.
8. My Dad was an alcoholic and had I stayed in Huntsville much longer I probably would have fallen in his tracks. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Dad very much and I have since learned that alcoholism in a disease and that the tendency is there if you are a child of one. Thank God, I came home and have stayed away from it for the most part since then.
9. Becky, my most favorite and bestest friend in high school, did the old Indian trick of becoming blood sisters. We actually pricked our fingers and then pressed them together, blending our blood. I don't see or hear from her much anymore, but if we were together for a few minutes, we would be right back in high school.
10. I once was a real cry baby. Really, I would cry when our football team lost the game or I would cry when they won the game. I would cry when one of my siblings would get a spanking. I would cry when one of the had to have a shot by the doctor when he came to our house. Did you know that doctors used to actually come visit you at home? I cried when I was very happy or when I was just a little sad. I didn't need a big reason to cry. I just cried. I'm not that way now. Well, not quite that bad.

Now, you know all my little hidden secrets. Sorry my life isn't any more exciting, but as I said from the beginning, I grew up in the rural south where we were poor, but we didn't know it, because everybody else was too. We always had food on the table, a roof over our head and clothes to wear even if Grandmother had made them from feed sacks. We were happy and very contented. I would not trade it for any other way of growing up.

Thanks Karen for the award.

4 comments:

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

It is very scary how much alike we are. Your award has not come through I see...I will resend it. Can't have you missing out. Yes, I have always liked writing....it started when I was 8. My brother died...and the counseler told me to keep a journal and journal everyday about my feelings and one day the pain would go away. The pain has never really gone away....but doesn't hurt as much as it did when I was 8. It truly did help me survive...and throughout my life....when things were difficult...I always wrote...either songs....poems....or stories. I am working on a book (have been for about 7 years called Have I Got A Story For You....I have about 30 little stories...all tied together....I am just not ready to let it go.

Trina said...

I learned some things about you! The "crybaby" thing is genetic in our family, but I don't consider it as being a crybaby. We (the females, anyway) are just very sensitive and tender-hearted people. At least that's how I like to look at it. :)

FRANKLY FRANK said...

Crying is good for the heart. Even Jesus cryed while on the cross. He cryed because he was finally fulfilling his work here on earth.his work of bringing eternal life to the world was done. God bless you and look forward to many more post.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

I do have it on a CD...it and several other songs we cut back in 04 to raise money for the Columbus Alliance for Battered and Abused Women. I will get your snail mail address from Trina and send it to you next week. No charge. BTW...thanks for visiting my husband Franks blog. He is new so anytime you want to leave him a comment feel free too. He is very proud of himself.

Gizmo

Gizmo